The HS Vocal Jazz students only have one audition on Tuesday, November 19, 2019 at Rose State College. The audition selection for the 2019 Vocal Jazz Ensemble is I Can’t Believe You’re In Love With Me arranged by Meador. It is available from Alfred and J.W. Pepper.
Student Entry Form – Before September 21
Each school must submit information for each student auditioning
Link to Student Entry Form
Audition Application – Before September 21
Schools must send an Audition Application
with payment (PO or check) to:
OCDA Treasurer PO Box 2964
Edmond, OK 73083
Download the Audition Application
Emergency Entry Form – After September 21
Download the Emergency Application
Deadline and Fees
First Deadline– September 21, 2019
– $15.00 per student
– School Form must be postmarked by Sept 22
**There is no longer a second deadline**
Emergency Deadline – Contact Chair
– $100.00 per student
Tuesday, November 19, 2019
– Rose State College
The audition will consist of two elements:
1) a performance of I Can’t Believe You’re In Love With Me arr. by Darmon Meador and 2) a 30-second vocal improvisation over a standard jazz form and chord progression. The first element will take place at each singer’s scheduled audition time, with the second following immediately afterward in a different room with different judges.
Updates to Vocal Improvisation Process:
Past audition formats have included a vocal improvisation over one chorus of the standard 12-bar blues in F major, lasting approximately 30 seconds. Beginning this year, the exact form and set of chord progressions will change each year. The audition track used in the improv room will be released publicly via email to all directors of students registered for the jazz audition two school days prior to the audition date. This will give students and directors time to prepare without the need for a ‘cut room.’
Suggested methods of preparation:
— Vocal Improvisation by Michele Weir
— Search “Jazz Backing Tracks” on YouTube
— Examples will be recorded and released for practice, date TBA
The piece will be auditioned as written in SATB format.
There is no published divisi, although, an optional Soprano 2 part has been inserted at m. 118. Those Sopranos opting not to sing the last 3 notes of that measure may substitute G5 for “weh”, F5 for “yah” and E5 for “daht”. Sopranos will indicate on their audition ticket that they are choosing the soprano 2 option. This will have no affect on judges scoring, and will only be used while determining divisi for the all-state ensemble once auditions have concluded.
Tenor part, m. 42: note on word “do” should be A-natural as on the word “could” prior to it. Part track was recorded with this change.
- 6 beat 2 to m. 38 beat 3
Final note value of m. 5 becomes an eighth note tied to a half note. Singers continue to m. 38 beat 3 with the printed eighth rest and entrance on the word “Your”.
- 71 beat 1 to m. 103 beat 1
For the purposes of the audition, all markings indicating optional solos or duets should be treated as unison passages for the voice parts reading those particular staves.
– Does the voice align with jazz style (i.e have minimal vibrato, use appropriate air/tone ration, navigate all parts of the range well, etc.)?
– Does the singer sing the correct notes?
– Does the singer sing accurate rhythms?
– Does the singer sing musically at both the macro and mirco level (i.e sing with correct emphasis around the swing notes, accommodate large dynamic shifts, sing each line with direction and purpose)?
– Does the singer sing the words and syllables written on the page? Does the singer use appropriate vowel shape?
– Can the singer sing in tune? This includes fast lines, held notes, and improvisation.
– Does the singer always sing with a sense of direction? Is the direction musically appropriate and stylistically interesting?
Jazz Style (5)
– Does the singer display vocal jazz ability? Does the singer perform with a sense of ease and confidence?
Improvisation (10 per judge)
– Can the singer create musical thoughts and phrases that are appropriate with the set of chord changes provided?